Ojha Institute of Chest Diseases

The OJHA INSTITUTE OF CHEST DISEASES (OICD) is the one of the three constituent institutes of the DUHS, since the University’s inception in December 2003.It was established as a TB sanatorium in 1939 in the form of 05 cottages by the family of Mr. Deep Chand Ojha, who was a well-known physiotherapist and whose donated his property for the relief of TB patients. It was extended to 65 Huts in 1942 by the AYUVEDIC TB relief association. During 1962-67, the Main Building of the Hospital was constructed with full facilities and bed strength of 350 beds. In 1973, it was upgraded from Sanatorium to Ojha Institute of Chest Diseases, as it is referred to today.


•    It was established in the last century by OJHA family (1939)

•   MR. DEEPCHAND TEJHANDAS OJHA was a well-known philanthropist of Karachi; He belonged to the renowned family of Ojhas who were VAIDS by profession. Mr. Deepchand Ojha was also a political figure. He died in 1928 of TB and donated his property. As per wish of Mr. Deepchand Ojha, his brother (Sukhramdas Ojha) sold the property and utilized it for the relief of TB patients.

•   With the initial donation, Ayurvedic TB Relief Association was founded with Mr. Jamshed Nusserwanji Mehta as its first and last President.

•   The association applied to the Sindh government for a land to construct a TB sanatorium and the Government donated 127 acres land in Deh Dozen and Safoora Goth, situated at 12 mile of Sehwan road , which is about 20 km NE of Karachi city. It was developed in the TB Sanatorium with isolated cottages for very sick TB patients. It was initially established in the form of huts, where the first 05 huts were established in 1939, and then expanded to 58 single rooms and 07 double room huts in 1942.

•  In the Second World War, it was used as Prisoners of War Camp, and a Polish Refugee Camp for Jews, War Children Refugee Camp, and American Army station.

•  In October 1946, TB patients were re-admitted within the facility. Incidentally Streptomycin was discovered in October and used at Ojha sanatorium shortly thereafter for treatment.